Jacquelyne A. Read
Research Assistant Professor of Chemistry
The Read group conducts interdisciplinary research utilizing computational chemistry and data science to provide creative solutions to contemporary challenges in synthetic chemistry. Trial-and-error methods for reaction optimization remain widespread in modern synthetic chemistry, despite the current abilities of computational chemistry and data science. Even a well-developed chemical intuition can fail to guide successful reaction design in complex systems. In particular, our focus is developing new experimental and computational techniques for studying noncovalent interactions (NCIs), ubiquitous in chemical systems, for the design and optimization of catalytic transformations in organic chemistry.
- B.S. Wheaton College (IL), 2008–2012
- Ph.D. New York University, 2012–2018
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Utah/Harvard University, 2018–2021
5. Levin, M. D.; Ovian, J. M.§; Read, J. A.§; Sigman, M. S.; Jacobsen, E. N. “Catalytic Enantioselective Synthesis of Difluorinated Alkyl Bromides.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 14831–14837. §Denotes equal contribution. (Top 20 read in JACS, August and September 2020)
4. Bartolo, N. D.; Read, J. A.; Valentín, E. M.; Woerpel, K. A. “Reactions of Allylmagnesium Reagents with Carbonyl Compounds and Compounds with C=N Double Bonds: Their Diastereoselectivities Generally Cannot Be Analyzed Using the Felkin–Anh and Chelation-Control Models.” Chem. Rev. 2020, 120, 1513–1619.
3. Read, J. A.; Yang, Y.; Woerpel, K. A. “Additions of Organomagnesium Halides to a-Alkoxy Ketones: Revision of the Chelation-Control Model.” Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 3346–3349. (Highlighted in Synfacts).
2. Bartolo, N. D.; Read, J. A.; Valentín, E. M.; Woerpel, K. A. “Reactions of Allylmagnesium Halides with Carbonyl Compounds: Reactivity, Structure, and Mechanism.” Synthesis 2017, 49, 3237–3246.
1. Read, J. A.; Woerpel, K. A. “Allylmagnesium Halides Do Not React Chemoselectively Because Reaction Rates Approach the Diffusion Limit.” J. Org. Chem. 2017, 82, 2300–2305.